Blog Archive

Sunday, January 15, 2017

New Mexico's Educators Not Considered Hard Working Families!


This is not one of my most eloquent posts, but I must spew forth before I lose my inspiration. 

Recently the Santa Fe New Mexican posted New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez’ proposed budget for the huge shortfall our state will be experiencing in the coming year.  Her failure to attract businesses offering alternative energy jobs, in favor of keeping incentives for her political cronies’ polluting and inefficient industries, is greatly responsible for this mess. The article mentions these; “new solvency measures would shrink overall compensation to state employees and public school teachers by decreasing government pension contributions to the state's two main retirement funds by 3.5 percent of salaries. Government employees would contribute more to maintain the same benefits, with less take-home pay as a result”(Lee, Morgan with Associated Press).  All of this in an effort to prevent tax increases.  I am always baffled at the oxymoronic (not sure if it’s a word, but I like it) attempts at pretending not to increase taxes.  Who does she, or her supporters, think pays her salary or the salary of her Secretary of Education, Hannah Skandera?

Martinez goes on to say, “This sends a message that it's up to state government to tighten its own belt — not our hard working families." 

What?  Exactly to whom are you sending this message? 

No Gov. Martinez, this sends the message that you don't give a damn that New Mexico’s teachers have not received a raise in over a decade and every year our paychecks are smaller and smaller meaning we are paying YOU so WE can KEEP our jobs where we are being asked to do more and more without any support or compensation. I wonder how many of your republican cronies would ever be willing to do that? You are a crook and a bully and no journalism agency or news station is willing to do the research to alert the rest of the poor struggling WORKING families in NM. I find it interesting that you didn't include teachers as part of the “Hard Working Families,” in your state. A single working teacher does not make enough for housing or food, but just enough not to benefit from any assistance programs.

I am not going to go on about the decrease in my paycheck every year due to insurance companies and retirement budget regulations taking advantage of the one dollar raise increase (Not a hyperbole!) I receive.  These agencies must sit in a room and wait to hear of the hint of a raise for teachers, then scurry to increase required contributions.  If I continue on this strand I will wallow in despair.  I will let your comments speak for me or to me.









1 comment :

  1. I feel for you teachers. Living in West Virginia and my husband working for the school system, I have been witness to the latest school system strike. At the time of the strike, Wv teachers were 49th on the pay scale not having a raise for 28 years. God bless teachers!!

    ReplyDelete